The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly) is seeking two dynamic individuals to serve as Associate Deans and become part of the Dean’s Leadership Team to help lead and manage the college.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
These positions are key participants on the administrative leadership team of the College and report directly to the Dean. Each position is a 12 month, 1.0 FTE.
Examples of duties include:
- Manage and address faculty and personnel issues
- Coordinate faculty recruitment, development, and onboarding
- Oversee student success efforts (orientation, retention, advising, degree completion)
- Lead curricular issues (curriculum development, assessment, program review, accreditation)
- Manage operations and business development
- Oversee enrollment management
- Perform analysis and interpretation of institutional data
- Lead diversity and inclusion efforts
- A PhD or equivalent in a field relevant to the College.
- A track record as a successful teacher and scholar.
- Significant academic administrative experience.
- Must be eligible to receive tenure in an academic department at Cal Poly and to be appointed to the rank of at least Associate Professor or Professor.
- Experience with and an appreciation of diversity and inclusion.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with others on and off campus.
- Strong creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary college and university leadership
- A leadership style characterized by integrity, openness, flexibility, and kindness.
- Demonstrated sound judgment, discretion, tact, and a willingness to take initiative.
- Exhibit high standards of ethical conduct, confidentiality and professionalism in dealing with sensitive matters.
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities, and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Thorough knowledge of effective personnel management practices and supervisory skills including a demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of effective management principles including proven supervisory skills with the ability to plan, implement, and manage multiple projects to meet deadlines with a finished and effective product.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, and online calendaring and email.
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
- At least three years of experience serving as a department head or chair.
- Currency in issues facing higher education today.
- Knowledge of business strategies.
- Experience in agricultural production, agribusiness, food processing, plant or animal sciences, and/or related fields.
- Experience serving in a college of agriculture or environmental sciences or related institution.
- Experience with international programs.
- Experience with online education.
*** POSITIONS ARE OPEN UNTIL FILLED***
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- This position classification has been defined as "Exempt" and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Full-time MPP employees are required to disclose outside employment at time of hire or within 30 days of taking additional outside employment subsequent to time of hire.
- This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
- Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
- For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
- Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Cal Poly is consistently ranked as the best master’s-granting institution in the western United States. The College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences is the fifth-largest college of agriculture in the United States, with 4,100 undergraduate students, 184 full time faculty and staff, 15 majors, and five graduate programs. We have a very strong faculty and an accomplished student body with an incoming high school GPA of over 4.0, a large university farm (over 10,000 acres of cropland, pasture, and forest, with student-run enterprises in dairy, beef cattle, poultry, sheep, horses, organic and conventional crops, and a food science pilot plant, the new Oppenheimer Family Equine Center, a commercial winery in the Justin and J. Lohr Center for Wine and Viticulture, under construction, and many other facilities), several research centers, and the Learn By Doing ethos that is central to Cal Poly’s mission. We are in the midst of an ambitious privately funded facilities construction program that will result in even more opportunities for faculty and student success. See https://cafes.calpoly.edu for more information about CAFES.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are encouraged to submit materials by October 31, 2019 for full consideration; however, the positions will remain open until filled.
Interested candidates much attach the following documents: (1) cover letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) resume/CV; (3) unofficial transcriptions of the highest degree; (4) statement describing the candidate’s experience(s) with diversity and inclusion and how their experiences have prepared them to advance Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and (5) at least three professional references with names and email addresses. The selected candidates will be required to provide sealed official transcripts prior to appointment for final consideration.
If you are unable to attach these materials to the online application please mail to:
California Polytechnic State University
1 Grand Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0020
For Inquiries and Additional Information, contact:
Voice: (805) 756-2844
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.