Associate Dean, Teaching and Research Operations and Infrastructure
Job no: 511265
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San Luis Obispo
Categories: MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly) is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as the Associate Dean, Teaching and Research Operations and Infrastructure, as part of the Dean’s leadership team to help lead and manage the college.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This 12-month, full-time position is a key member of the administrative leadership team of the College and reports directly to the Dean.
Examples of duties include:
- Strategic planning and oversight of the college’s infrastructure and 18 production operations, which generate more than $5M in annual revenue, and off-campus ranches, such as the Swanton Pacific Ranch and the Bartleson Ranch. These operations collectively provide the teaching and research laboratories to support Learn By Doing for CAFES students
- Collaboration with department heads to ensure short- and long-term viability and relevance of CAFES production operations to support teaching and research, commercial activities and to meet the needs of supporting industries who hire CAFES graduates
- Partner with department heads to manage production operations including strategic direction, business capital, short- and long-range planning, day-to-day operations, and personnel, to meet CAFES teaching and research needs Support the department heads to lead and manage their teams of high-functioning direct reports from various areas and specialties that are relevant to the College
- Collaborate with department heads and production managers to manage Ag Student Housing operations and enhance facilities as needed to ensure housing is safe and current with building code requirements
- Ensure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations (ie – Cal OSHA, Alcohol Beverage Control, USDA, FDA) pertaining to all production operations
- Work with department heads and unit managers to develop and drive unified marketing efforts both on and off campus for the production units
- Oversee and manage the CAFES Agriculture Operations department
- Oversee CAFES space and safety management
- Provide leadership for CAFES IT oversight
- Perform analysis and interpretation of institutional data and support dean with CAFES budget
- Manage and address faculty and personnel issues in collaboration with other Associate Deans in college
- Other administrative duties as assigned as it relates to Associate Dean duties within the college
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex budget systems
- PhD or terminal degree in a field relevant to the College
- At least three years of relevant administrative experience
- Possession of a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain by date of hire
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to work effectively with others on and off campus.
- Exceptional creativity and problem-solving skills
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary college and university leadership and outside industry leaders and partners
- A leadership style characterized by integrity, openness, flexibility, inclusiveness, transparency, and kindness
- Demonstrated sound judgment, discretion, tact, and a willingness to take initiative
- Exhibit high standards of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and professionalism in dealing with sensitive matters
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy to effectively handle a broad range of high level and sensitive interpersonal situations with diverse personalities and to respond appropriately to conflicts and problems
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, collaborative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Thorough knowledge of effective personnel management practices and supervisory skills including a demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Working knowledge of effective management principles including proven supervisory skills with the ability to plan, implement, manage, and evaluate multiple projects to meet deadlines with a finished, efficient, and effective product
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, and online calendaring, email, and cloud-based shared drives
- Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies, and procedures
- Knowledge of business strategies
- Experience with business process, workflow design, and implementation
- Experience managing P&Ls
- Academic administrative experience
- Experience in agricultural production, agribusiness, food processing, animal sciences or plant commercial operations, and/or related fields
- Experience serving a college of agriculture and/or environmental sciences or related institution
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- This position classification has been defined as "Exempt" and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- Full-time MPP employees are required to disclose outside employment at time of hire or within 30 days of taking additional outside employment subsequent to time of hire.
- This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background/fingerprint check.
- CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy and questions may be sent to email@example.com.
- In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU related work outside of California
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
The College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences is the fifth-largest public college of agriculture in the United States, with over 4,100 undergraduate students, 184 full time faculty and staff, 15 majors, and five graduate programs. We have a very strong faculty and an accomplished student body with an incoming high school GPA of 4.0, a large university farm (over 10,000 acres of cropland, pasture, and forest, with student-run enterprises in dairy, beef cattle, poultry, sheep, horses, organic and conventional crops, and a food science pilot plant, the new Oppenheimer Family Equine Center, a commercial winery in the Justin and J. Lohr Center for Wine and Viticulture, under construction, and many other facilities), several research centers, and the Learn By Doing ethos that is central to Cal Poly’s mission. See https://cafes.calpoly.edu for more information about CAFES.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are encouraged to submit materials by April 8, 2022 for full consideration; however, the position will remain open until filled.
Interested candidates much attach the following documents: (1) cover letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) resume/CV; (3) unofficial transcripts of the highest degree; (4) statement describing the candidate’s experience(s) with diversity equity and inclusion and how their experiences have prepared them to advance Cal Poly’s commitment to inclusive excellence (https://diversity.calpoly.edu/inclusive-excellence), and (5) at least three professional references with names and email addresses. The selected candidates will be required to provide sealed official transcripts prior to appointment for final consideration. Inquiries can be directed to Shereen Langrana, Senior Manager of Personnel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend