Public Works Procurement Specialist
Job no: 534009
Work type: Staff
Location: San Luis Obispo
Categories: Unit 7 - CSUEU - Clerical and Administrative Support Services, Administrative, Probationary, Full Time, Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested and telecommute as scheduled)
Under the supervision of the Procurement Manager, and in coordination with the other members of the PW team, the PW Procurement Specialist will coordinate a variety of diverse procurement operations, including public works contracting activities and relationship management with Facilities Management and Development (FMD).
The anticipated work schedule for this position includes three (3) days in office with the opportunity to work from home up to two (2) days a week.
Strategic Business Services (SBS) is responsible for managing the procurement and contracting process for the University’s Public Works (PW) projects and facilities management. SBS ensures an efficient Procure-to-Pay process while acting as stewards of the University’s financial resources. For construction and facilities-related procurement activity, the University focuses on best value and competitive pricing. Along with all departments of the Administration and Finance Division, SBS supports the University’s academic mission with a high level of integrity and financial responsibility.
- Thorough knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures involved with construction procurement and contracting.
- Thorough knowledge of CSU and State of California regulations dealing with alternative methods of competitive bidding in public works.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex procurements and negotiate contracts for construction and design services.
- Demonstrated customer services skills, including a high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
Education and Experience
- Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in purchasing, marketing, accounting, business, construction management, or other appropriate field. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis. AND equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible purchasing experience of which two years must have involved major aspects of the purchasing function, i.e., high-technology and building and construction, utilizing competitive bidding or contract development, and including the writing of specifications and justifications to support them.
Salary and Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Range: $78,000 - $90,000 annually
Classification Range: $51,672 - $93,480 annually
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website for additional information.
Cal Poly is a nationally-ranked public university located in San Luis Obispo, California, and known for its Learn by Doing philosophy. Each year more than 20,000 top-tier students come to San Luis Obispo to put knowledge into action, taking their learning outside the classroom as they prepare for careers in engineering, agriculture, science, business, humanities and the built environment. Cal Poly’s hands-on philosophy, small class sizes and close student-faculty mentorships result in graduates ready from day one to impact their communities, California and the world. For more information, visit calpoly.edu.
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H-1B visas).
Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Advertised: Pacific Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend