The Industrial Technology and Packaging Area and the Entrepreneurship Program in the Orfalea College of Business at Cal Poly invite applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank, depending on qualifications, starting September 14, 2023 (Fall Quarter 2023).
We are seeking candidates who have leadership experience, expertise in entrepreneurship, an interdisciplinary mindset, and interest in collaborating with our faculty, students, and Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (CIE) staff to continue building vibrant academic and co-curricular entrepreneurship programs.
The successful candidate is expected to teach a variety of undergraduate entrepreneurship courses comprising the Entrepreneurship Concentration in the business major and the interdisciplinary undergraduate Entrepreneurship Minor, which serves students in all six colleges at Cal Poly. The position may also include teaching entrepreneurship courses in the MBA program. As a tenure track faculty member in the Orfalea College, the successful candidate is expected to collaborate with members of the entrepreneurship faculty on curriculum development and improvement, maintain an active research program leading to peer-reviewed publications, and contribute to the college and university through service. In addition, the successful candidate will be affiliated with the Cal Poly Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship.
Salary commensurate with education and experience of the individual selected. Anticipated hiring range: $124,000 to $135,000 per year.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees, and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences, and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our recruitment, hiring, and retention efforts. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in Business or a related field.
- Current and relevant teaching or industry experience that demonstrates competency to teach entrepreneurship courses that emphasize experiential learning.
- Available to teach in-person classes.
- Ability to establish a research program consistent with the requirements of tenure track faculty in the Orfalea College of Business.
- Desire to contribute to student success in curricular and co-curricular programs.
- Demonstrate experience and commitment to student-centered learning and teaching, as well as the ability to collaboratively work in multidisciplinary settings.
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and oral use of the English language is required.
- Interdisciplinary mindset.
- Relevant industry experience and professional capabilities.
- Experience working with diverse populations and fostering a collaborative, supportive, and inclusive environment.
- Potential to collaborate with CIE staff, Cal Poly faculty, and students on research projects and grant opportunities that improve CIE programs.
- Preference will be given to those with experience in working with diverse populations and fostering a collaborative, supportive, and inclusive environment.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy and any questions you have may be submitted to email@example.com.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU related work outside of California.
ABOUT CAL POLY, THE ORFALEA COLLEGE OF BUSINESS, AND SAN LUIS OBISPO
The Entrepreneurship Program is housed under the Industrial Technology and Packaging Area within the Orfalea College of Business (OCOB). OCOB prepares career-ready business leaders through hands-on discovery and dedicated mentorship. The college is AACSB accredited.
• Cal Poly, SLO: www.calpoly.edu
• Cal Poly, SLO Student Profile: https://ir.calpoly.edu/content/publications_reports/infobrief/index
• Orfalea College of Business: www.cob.calpoly.edu
• Industrial Technology and Packaging Area | Orfalea College of Business: https://www.cob.calpoly.edu/itp
• Entrepreneurship | Orfalea College of Business: www.cob.calpoly.edu/entrepreneurship
• Entrepreneurship Faculty: https://www.cob.calpoly.edu/entrepreneurship/entrepreneurship-faculty/
• Entrepreneurship Concentration:
• Entrepreneurship Minor: http://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/orfaleacollegeofbusiness/entrepreneurshipminor/
• Cal Poly Center for Innovation & Entrepreneurship: www.cie.calpoly.edu
• San Luis Obispo location characteristics: www.slochamber.org/cm/Home.html
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter, (2) resume/curriculum vitae, and (3) diversity statement. Please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. Review of applications will begin March 14, 2023, applications received after this date may be considered.
Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org