CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN LUIS OBISPO
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF ETHNIC STUDIES
AND ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF ETHNIC STUDIES
EMPHASIS: LATINA/O/X STUDIES
2 TENURE TRACK POSITIONS
The Department of Ethnic Studies at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo invites candidates to apply for one of two full-time tenure-track positions; one at the assistant professor level and the other at the assistant or associate professor level; both in the field of Latina/o/x Studies.
Required Qualifications: Candidates must have completed a Ph.D. in Ethnic Studies, Latina/o/x Studies, Chicana/o/x Studies, or a related field at the time of appointment which starts in fall 2022. The successful candidates will present an excellent teaching record, be able to teach survey courses, and sustain an active publication agenda.
- The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Note: Cal Poly cannot deny an applicant a position solely or in part due to a criminal conviction history until it has performed an individualized assessment and linked the relevant conviction history with specific job duties in the position being sought.
- Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
- For health and well-being, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
- The California State University system is requiring that all employees and students accessing campus be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by September 20, 2021. Accordingly, you may be required to show proof of vaccination by your start date. You can find more information here.
Department Information: The Department of Ethnic Studies offers both a major and minor designed to centralize the interdisciplinary study of race, ethnicity, and racism in the United States. The curriculum is intended to prioritize historically marginalized groups in the United States such as Native Americans, African Americans, Latina/o/x Americans, and Asian Americans. These two positions are part of a diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) cluster hire in the College of Liberal Arts and are intended to help meet demand for the new CSU graduation requirement in Ethnic Studies. We also expect these new faculty members to propose courses that align with their specific expertise.
- Teach a lower division Introduction to Latina/o/x Studies course in regular format (32 students/course) and/or large lecture format (120 students/course)
- Teach/Develop upper division courses according to expertise and curricular need
- Sustain an ongoing record of research with scholarly publications/creative works
- Contribute to service duties at the department, college, university, and professional levels
- Engage in the mentorship of Ethnic Studies students
Application Materials Include:
- Cal Poly Online Application
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcript Copy
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (2-page maximum)
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Statement (2-page maximum)
- List of three references with contact information (Cal Poly will directly solicit letters from the individuals listed by applicants.)
In the cover letter, the applicant should address the feasibility of conducting a research program within the context of a primarily teaching-oriented undergraduate program. In the DEI statement applicants should demonstrate commitment to DEI in teaching, scholarship and/or service and describe past experience, contributions to DEI efforts, the impact on students, faculty, staff and/or your field along with a description of how you will demonstrate a commitment to DEI in teaching, research, and/or service at Cal Poly (Please upload DEI statement under ‘other’). Candidates who become finalists will be asked to submit a writing sample and two sample syllabi. Official sealed transcript showing highest degree earned will be required prior to appointment.
Diversity Cluster Hire Information
The other College of Liberal Arts Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) searches are for positions in the following disciplines across campus:
- African American Literature (English)
- Counseling/Clinical Psychology with Cultural & Linguistic Competency (Psychology & Child Development)
- Feminist/Queer/Trans* Dis/Ability Studies (Women’s, Gender & Queer Studies)
- International Political Economy (Social Sciences)
- Public Policy (Political Science)
- Rhetoric (Communication Studies)
- World History (History)
Candidates selected through this DEI cluster hire will be given start-up funds to support their work in DEI. Once hired, candidates will collaborate with their dean and others to develop a plan for utilizing these funds for supplemental compensation, assigned time, or professional development activities.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds and experiences fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry as we consider the impacts of cultural contexts, mutual respect, civic engagement, and our social and environmental responsibilities. Cal Poly's commitment to DEI informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
Cal Poly strongly values diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI), especially in the classroom and among its areas of study. These two positions are part of a college-wide cluster of searches designed to increase curricular coverage of areas related to DEI as well as to promote inclusive and equity-minded teaching strategies across the university. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to the college’s DEI goals in these areas.
Position open until filled. Submit applications online to Job# 504853 at: http://jobs.calpoly.edu/
Direct inquiries for the Ethnic Studies search to: Dr. José Navarro, Search Committee Chair, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin on: November 1, 2021
Applicants with complete files by the Review Begin Date will be given full consideration.